Since the 1990s, several emerging market and developing economies (EMDEs) have, to varying degrees, embraced the process of financial globalisation, broadly defined as a set of policies that involve allowing for greater openness to cross-border capital flows as well as greater market access to foreign financial institutions. This book provides a systematic empirical analysis on the complex interactions between financial sector development, macroeconomic and financial stability in EMDEs in general and those in the Asian region in particular.
The book consists of three sections pertaining to monetary and exchange rate policies under financial globalisation; financial inclusion and macroeconomic policies in the context of financial liberalisation; and finally, the dynamics of foreign direct investment flows and their real impacts in EMDEs. Each of the chapters analyse important economic policy issues of contemporary relevance and is informed by data and rigorous empirical analysis.
The book will be appealing to anyone interested in exploring the implications of a key set of issues emanating from financial globalisation on EMDEs in a rigorous but readable manner.
Part 1: Monetary and Exchange Rate Policies
1. How Have Exchange Rate Policies Evolved in an Era of Financial Globalisation?
2. Has the "Impossible Trilemma" Morphed into a "Dilemma"?
With Ruijie Cheng
3. How Does Financial Liberalisation Affect Interest Rate Transmission?
4. How Effective is Inflation Targeting under Different Levels of Financial Development?
With Alice Ouyang
Part 2: Financial Inclusion and Macroeconomic Policies
5. Does Foreign Bank Presence Promote or Impede Financial Inclusion?
6. Does Financial Liberalisation Ease Firms’ Credit Constraints?
With Subash Sasidharan
7. How Does Financial Inclusion Affect Macroeconomic Volatility?
Part 3: Foreign Direct Investment Flows and Real Impacts
8. Do Greenfield FDI Inflows and M&As Impact Growth and Investment Differently?
With Alice Ouyang
9. What Attracts FDI Inflows to Asia?
With Luu Nguyen Trieu Duong
10. Does Institutional Quality Matter in How Capital Flows Influence Economic Growth?
With Vandana Arya and Rajabrata Banerjee