Uniquely bridging theory and practice, this text introduces and overviews the various domains associated with the term critical pedagogy in the field of TESOL/ELT. Critical pedagogy addresses concepts, values, curriculum, instructional and associated practices involved in language teaching for social justice. Bringing critical pedagogy to classroom practitioners in a practical and comprehensible way, the text is designed to help teachers get started on critically grounded work in their own teaching.
• Textbook extracts offer direct and quick illustration of what this perspective might look like in practice
• Coverage of feminist and anti-racist pedagogies; sexual identity, oppression and pedagogy; peace and environmental education; and critical English as a foreign language—and their implications for second-language teaching
• Historical background
• Theoretical background on language and learning
• Consideration of applicability of critical/radical educational concepts and traditions to non-Western cultural contexts
• A focus on issues of compromise and resistance
This original, timely, and informative text is ideal for any course on methods and approaches in TESOL.
"The publisher advocates the book for courses on methods and approaches in TESOL, but as a self-proclaimed critical pedagogue, I could easily see myself using the text in numerous other contexts such as with intermediate-level proficiency learners of almost any language in any setting as well as in sociolinguistics and applied linguistics courses." —JALT Journal
2 Getting Started—Materials and curriculum content
3 Components of critical language pedagogy
4 Radical or critical pedagogy; beginnings and elements
5 Relevant understandings of language and learning
6 Developing domains of radical language pedagogy
7 Administration and related matters
8 Concerns and outcomes: what is to be done?
9 Imagination and targets
Part One: Extracts from ESL for Action (Auerbach & Wallerstein)
Part Two: Extracts from Down Second Avenue: The Comic (Norton)
Part Three: Extracts from Language and Position (Janks)