This book provides up-to-date information relevant to the analysis and design of adhesively bonded joints made up of fiber-reinforced polymer (FRP) composites using functionally graded adhesive (FGA). Damage behaviors in adhesively bonded joints of laminated FRP composites have been addressed, and joint configurations have been modeled using special finite elements (FEs) and multipoint constraint elements to simulate the contact behavior. Detailed 3D finite element analyses (FEAs) have been presented for different adhesively bonded joint structures along with guidelines for effective design philosophy of adhesively bonded joints in laminated FRP structures using FGA.
- Provides a thorough and systematic discussion on the functionally graded adhesive and its joints.
- Discusses analytical modeling and numerical analyses of the joints.
- Details 3D stress and failure delamination analysis for composite analyses of functionally graded out-of-plane joints under various combinations of loading.
- Illustrates FE modeling and simulation of interfacial failure and damage propagation in out-of-plane joints.
- Includes the effect of various gradation function profiles on damage growth driving forces (SERR).
This book is aimed at researchers, professionals and graduate students in composites, infrastructure engineering, bonding technology and mechanical/aerospace engineering.