© 2017 – Routledge
276 pages | 24 B/W Illus.
There is evidence of considerable growth in the availability and use of digital technologies in physical education. Yet, we have scant knowledge about how technologies are being used by teachers, and whether or how these technologies are optimising student learning. This book makes a novel contribution by focusing on the ways in which teachers and teacher educators are attempting to use digital technologies in PE.
The book has been created using the innovative ‘pedagogical cases’ framework. Each case centres on a narrative, written by a PE practitioner, explaining how and why technology is used in their practice to advance and accelerate learning. Each practitioner narrative is then analysed by a team of experts from different disciplines. The aim is to offer a multi-dimensional understanding of the possibilities and challenges of supporting young people’s learning with digital technologies. Each case concludes with a practitioner reflection to illustrate the links between theory, research and practice.
Digital Technologies and Learning in Physical Education encourages critical reflection on the use of technologies in PE. It is an essential resource for students on physical education, kinesiology or sport science courses, practitioners working in PE or youth sport, and researchers interested in digital technologies and education.
1. A PEDAGOGICAL CASES APPROACH TO UNDERSTANDING DIGITAL TECHNOLOGIES AND LEARNING IN PHYSICAL EDUCATION
2. DYLAN: THE USE OF ‘MOBILE’ ‘APPS’ WITHIN A TACTICAL INQUIRY APPROACH
3. JAIME: "I COULDN’T TEACH WITHOUT TECHNOLOGY": A TEACHER AND STUDENT LEARNING JOURNEY
4. JAMES: PHYSICAL EDUCATION TEACHER
5. BÉATRICE: DANCE VIDEO GAMES AS A RESOURCE FOR TEACHING DANCE
6. ANTONIO: "I REALLY WANT THEM TO BE ENGAGED AND LEARN": THE USE OF SOCIAL MEDIA IN HIGHER EDUCATION
7. ANDY: BLOGGING WITH STUDENTS - EDUCATIONAL VISIONS AND DIGITAL REALITIES
8. JOEY: SOCIAL MEDIA AS A TOOL FOR PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
9. LYNNE: PERSUADING TEENS TO REDUCE HEALTH RISK THROUGH HEALTHY MESSAGING
10. RICK: ‘ENERGIZE AND EDUCATE AT EVERY AGE’ - TECHNOLOGY INTEGRATION OVER A TEACHING CAREER
11. JARROD: THE PROMISE AND MESSY REALITIES OF DIGITAL TECHNOLOGY IN PHYSICAL EDUCATION
12. TOM: USING DIGITAL TECHNOLOGY IN PHYSICAL EDUCATION TO TRANSFORM PEDAGOGY
13. GARETH: THE BEAUTY OF THE IPAD FOR REVOLUTIONISING LEARNING IN PHYSICAL EDUCATION
14. JACOB AND MARTIN: DEVELOPING DIGITAL TECHNOLOGY COMPETENCE IN PHYSICAL EDUCATION TEACHER EDUCATION
15. ARTICULATING ‘PEDAGOGIES OF TECHNOLOGY’ THROUGH THIRTEEN ‘PEDAGOGICAL CASES’