English Language Knowledge for Secondary Teachers
Prices & shipping based on shipping country
If teachers are to successfully develop their students' English language skills it is vital that they overcome any existing lack of confidence and training in grammar and language concepts. Language Knowledge for Secondary Teachers is an accessible book aiming to equip secondary teachers with the knowledge they need to teach language effectively. It clearly explains the essential concepts for language study, introduces the terminology needed for ‘talking about language’ and shows how this knowledge can be applied to the skills of reading, writing, speaking and listening.
This new edition has been fully updated to take into account changes to the curriculum and developments in digital and new media language. Written by an experienced teacher and consultant the book includes:
- All the grammar knowledge that a secondary teacher needs;
- Contemporary language examples to which new teachers can relate;
- A companion website with a numerous activities for use in the classroom linked to each chapter and supported by detailed commentaries to explain how these work in practice (www.routledge.com/ross).
By making language teaching a fun and enjoyable experience, this text offers a refreshing resource for any secondary teacher daunted by the prospect of teaching grammar and language.
Table of Contents
Part One: Grammar
1. The building blocks of language
2. Applications of morphology
3. Words, words, words
4. Nouns and pronouns
5. Verbs, adjectives and adverbs
6. Noun phrases
7. Verb phrases
Part Two: Beyond Grammar
Alison Ross is an educational consultant and former English teacher and examiner.