In the first book to concentrate on teacher education for English for young learners (EYL) teachers in Asia, Zein and Butler offer a comprehensive coverage of teacher education by addressing various issues and recent developments such as programme evaluation, knowledge base, practicum, classroom discourse, needs analysis, and policy on teacher education.
The world’s rapidly changing political, social, economic, and educational landscapes in the 21st century have been distinctively characterized by an increasing number of children who are learning English globally at younger ages. This book tackles the challenges and complexities surrounding teacher education by examining the policies and practices of primary English language teacher education in a variety of educational contexts, namely Bangladesh, China, Indonesia, Japan, Kazakhstan, Thailand, and South Korea. Using a variety of data collection methods like interviews, reflective journals, and questionnaires, the content delves into the different strategies and initiatives that have been implemented or proposed to improve teacher education.
A vital read for academics and students in the fields of early language learning, Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), Applied Linguistics, Educational Linguistics, English Language Education, and comparative education studies, as well as teacher educators aiming to advance the teaching of English in Asia and beyond.
1. Introduction to English for Young Learners in Asia: Directions for Teacher Education
Subhan Zein and Yuko Goto Butler
2. Primary School English Teacher Education in South Korea: Challenges and Future Directions
3. Preparing Future Primary Education English Teachers in Turkey: Innovation in Teacher Education
4. Primary School English Language Education in Kazakhstan: Policy, Preparation, and Practice
Assel Kambatyrova, Bayan Assylbekova, and Bridget Goodman
5. Needs Analysis of Primary School English Teachers: Implications for Teacher Training in Thailand
Pornapit Darasawang and Wareesiri Singhasiri
6. English for Young Learners in Turkey: Reflections from Pre-Service English Language Teachers
Melike Ünal Gezer
7. Primary English Language Teaching in Bangladesh: Classroom Practices and Teacher Identities
Prithvi N. Shrestha
8. Knowledge Base of Teaching English to Young Learners
9. An Evaluative Case Study of a Professional Development Program for Primary School English Teachers in a Rural Region in China
Tao Xiong and Yue Peng
10. In Search of Localized Professional Development for Teaching English Among Primary School Teachers in Japan
Yuko Goto Butler and Mayumi Tabuchi