The Resource Book Every Secondary English Teacher Will Need
- Available for pre-order on June 7, 2023. Item will ship after June 28, 2023
Prices & shipping based on shipping country
What is grammar? Why is it so central to the teaching of English? How can we teach it with confidence in secondary schools?
Essential Grammar will provide clarity, meaning and teacher expertise to this much debated area of the English curriculum. By exploring grammar as applied to literary analysis and using a range of examples from commonly-taught and popular texts, this highly accessible book provides an extensive overview of how to use grammar to enhance the teaching of academic and creative writing. Drawing on a range of resources, best-selling authors Webb and Giovanelli:
- discuss the context of grammar teaching in schools
- provide a clear overview of concepts and terminology for the teacher
- offer a wide range of examples of how grammar can be applied to the analysis of texts and the development of students’ writing
- debunk the unhelpful view of grammar as a list of prescriptive rules and limits
- outline grammatical concepts in a way which is clear and simple to understand
- provide a huge range of practical ways to ensure that teaching of grammatical concepts can be rigorous and successful for all.
This resource, with its grounded and straightforward approach to grammar, will be immediately useable in the classroom with strategies that be used by teachers in their classroom today. For any training and practicing secondary English teachers, Essential Grammar will be a compulsory classroom companion.
Table of Contents
Section 1: The Grammar Debate 1. What is grammar and why is it important? 2. Which grammar? Section 2: Definitions and Principles Of Teaching 3. Definitions 4. Teaching Grammar: from encounter to mastery Section 3: Reading and Writing 5. Grammar for READING 6. Grammar for WRITING 7. Attitudes to language and opportunities for linguistic investigation Section 4: Curriculum and Beyond 8. English Curriculum 9. For Leaders
Jennifer Webb is an English teacher, school leader, educational author and speaker. She tweets as @funkypedagogy and runs the popular blog www.funkypedagogy.com
Marcello Giovanelli is Reader in Literary Linguistics at Aston University. He has previously authored Teaching Grammar, Structure and Meaning (2014), Knowing About Language (2016) and Teaching English Language and Literature 16-19 (2021), all for Routledge.