How can colleges and schools support the inclusion of family, school and community engagement curricula in teacher and administrator preparation programs? The contributions in this book try to answer this question, with contributors describing their experiences, their programs, and their support for the goal of enhancing parental involvement and engagement in Schools and Colleges of Education.
The authors and researchers, such as Joyce Epstein, who is the foremost researcher on the topic, have the knowledge and expertise in family, school, and community engagement and partnerships from both theory and best practice perspectives. The book is designed to be interactive, and readers are encouraged to engage themselves in the conversation. Readers are invited to e-mail any of the editors to discuss the questions posed. This book was originally published as a special issue of Teaching Education.
Foreword: Ready or not? Preparing future educators for school, family, and community
Joyce L. Epstein
1. Family, school, community engagement, and partnerships: an imperative for k-12, and colleges of education in the development of twenty-first century educators
Reyes L. Quezada, Viviana Alexandrowicz and Sarina Molina
2. Educating pre-service teachers for family, school, and community engagement
Michael P. Evans
3. Including all families in education: school district-level efforts to promote parent engagement in Ontario, Canada
4. Preparing educators to partner with families
Gloria E. Miller, Cathy Lines, Erin Sullivan and Kirsten Hermanutz
5. An analysis of cultural diversity and recurring themes in pre-service teachers’ online discussions of Epstein’s six types of parent involvement
Laura Nathans and Carol Revelle
6. How is my child doing? Preparing pre-service teachers to engage parents through assessment
Lisa M. Mehlig and Lee Shumow
7. Latino parents and teachers: key players building neighborhood social capital
Elizabeth Martinez and Sharon H. Ulanoff
8. Practices in home–school cooperation – a gendered story?
9. Is the week over yet? Insight for educators about social network support among cyber mothers raising children with ASD
Jayme Swanke, Judy Doktor, Sabita Shrestha and Laura Dreuth Zeman
10. Family, school, community engagement, and partnerships: an area of continued
inquiry and growth
Sarina C. Molina