GPS and GNSS for Land Surveyors, Fifth Edition
Based on the success of the previous four editions, this new fifth edition includes Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) in the title, which is part of the Global Positioning System (GPS). The book provides an introduction to the concepts needed to understand and use GPS and GNSS. Neither simplistic nor overly technical, the new edition is thoroughly updated with the changes in GPS and GNSS hardware, software, and procedures. It describes why modern GNSS positions can be acquired with more certainty, increased stability, and improved tracking in obstructed areas. The book offers a rare combination of knowledge and skills that every land surveyor needs to master.
• Written by a well-known land surveyor with extensive knowledge in satellite navigation and the ability to explain difficult concepts to a broad audience
• Includes a useful set of self-assessment exercises and explanations at the end of each chapter
• Takes a practical approach to the rapid and continuous technological progress in GNSS
• Provides the latest information on GNSS and GPS
• Minimizes the reliance on mathematical explanations and maximizes the use of illustrations and examples that allow the reader to visualize and grasp the concepts
Intended for both novices and professionals in the field, this book explains broad concepts in an accessible way. It provides support to undergraduate students in Civil Engineering, Geomatic Engineering, and those taking introductory GPS and GIS Mapping Courses, as well as professionals in the field, a practical approach to GPS and GNSS technology.
1. The Signal 2. Biases and Solutions 3. The Framework 4. Receivers and Methods 5. Coordinates 6. Static GNSS Surveying 7. Real-Time GNSS Surveying 8. GPS Modernization and Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS)