Learn effective ways to teach STEAM with this helpful book from educational technology experts Billy Krakower and Meredith Martin. Whether you have a dedicated STEAM class, or plan to integrate it into a regular classroom, you’ll find out how to create a structured learning environment while still leaving room for inquiry and innovation. You’ll also gain a variety of hands-on activities and rubrics you can use immediately.
- the differences among STEM, STEAM, and makerspaces
- planning your STEAM space
- stocking your space with the right supplies
- planning for instruction and managing class time
- incorporating the core subjects
- aligning lessons with standards and assessments
- getting the administration and community involved
- taking your class to the next level with design thinking.
With this practical book, you’ll have all the tools you’ll need to create a STEAM-friendly learning space starting now.
Continue the conversation on Twitter with the hashtag #GSwSTEAM!
Table of Contents
Meet the Authors
1. The What And Why of STEAM
- The Jargon Jungle: Makers, STEM, & STEAM - What’s The Difference?
- Now You Have The WHAT, Let’s Find Out The WHY
- Technology is not Just Computers
2. Planning Your STEAM Space
- What Does a dedicated space look like?
- What does STEAM look like integrated into classrooms?
- Other spaces and ways to incorporate STEAM
- Making & STEAM, a perfect combination
3. Stocking Your Space - What Supplies Do You Need?
- Don’t Break The Bank - Dollar Store STEAM Supplies
- Inexpensive Electronics
- A Well Stocked Toolkit
- Let’s Splurge A Little
3.5 Grants, Donations, and Other Ways To Stock Your Space
4. Planning for Instruction
- How do I plan a STEAM lesson?
- Managing my time with a tight schedule
- Student Centered Lesson
5. Incorporating the Core Subjects
- Incorporating Language Arts (Writing and Reading) into STEAM
- Incorporating Technology
- Incorporating the Arts
- Incorporating Engineering
- Incorporating Social Studies
- Incorporating Math
6. Getting Aligned - Standards & Assessments
- ISTE Standard 4. Innovative Designer
7. It Takes a Village – Getting the Community Involved
8. Design Thinking - Taking Your STEAM Class to the Next Level
- Changing Your Thinking with Empathy
- Ready, Set, Design
- Extraordinary Design
9. Next Steps
- Where Do We Go From Here?
- Takeaways & Resources
11. Appendix - Sample Projects
BISAC Subject Codes/Headings:
- EDUCATION / General