Global Student Engagement
Policy Insights and International Research Perspectives
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after May 6, 2022
Drawing together major global studies from leading researchers, this book presents novel results, ideas and developments from the world’s largest collaborative study of student engagement in higher education. It builds insight into contemporary higher education practice, policy, and research.
The chapters are written by researchers who lead student engagement research in nine diverse countries across Asia, the Americas and Europe. The book presents results, benchmark data, and case studies. It deep-dives into research programs, analytical capabilities, empirical situations, and development trajectories. The book updates earlier publications and charts emerging perspectives and development opportunities.
The research contributions are for students of higher education, as well as for policymakers, advisors and university administrators. Higher education practitioners and leaders in universities around the world with an interest in Asian higher education will enjoy this book.
Table of Contents
Part 1: Introduction
1. Charting research on student engagement
Hamish Coates et al.
2. Engaging perspectives and insights
Hamish Coates and Xi Gao
Part 2: Development and research
3. CCSS and student engagement in China: From an academic concept, to institutional practices and policy implications
Fei Guo, Xi Gao, Ji Yang and Jinghuan Shi
4. Student engagement in research and practice in Korea
Sang Hoon Bae, Su Youn Byoun and Song Ie Han
5. A retrograde analysis of Chile’s student engagement hypothesis
Part 3: Case study contexts
6. Engagement with learning and the development of skills in United Kingdom students: Findings from the UK Engagement Survey
Jonathan Neves and Jason Leman
7. Using the Irish Survey of Student Engagement to understand the impact of COVID-19 on first year undergraduate students
Siobhán Nic Fhlannchadha, Janice Lau and Brian Stanley
8. Proving student competence in South Africa: A closer look at the student experience
Francois Strydom and Sonja Loots
9. Quality of interaction and environment support as perceived by first year students in Indonesia
Paulus Insap Santosa
Part 4: Applications and offshoots
10. The well-travelled (bumpy) road to using NSSE data
11. Constructing higher education with students as partners in learning and teaching
Kelly E. Matthews
12. Engaging perspectives and developments
Hamish Coates and Xi Gao
Hamish Coates is a Tenured Professor at Tsinghua University’s Institute of Education, and Director of the Higher Education Research Division.
Xi Gao is a doctoral student at Tsinghua University’s Institute of Education.
Fei Guo is an Assistant Professor at the Institute of Education Tsinghua University.
Jinghuan Shi is a Professor and the Chair of the Academic Committee of the Institute of Education, the Director of the Research Center for the Assessment of College and Student Tsinghua University.