Great Relationships and Sex Education 200+ Activities for Educators Working with Young People
Great Relationships and Sex Education is an innovative and accessible guide for educators who work with young people to create and deliver Relationships and Sex Education (RSE) programmes. Developed by two leading experts in the field, it contains hundreds of creative activities and session ideas that can be used both by experienced RSE educators and those new to RSE.
Drawing on best practice and up-to-date research from around the world, Great RSE provides fun, challenging and critical ways to address key contemporary issues and debates in RSE. Activity ideas are organised around key areas of learning in RSE: Relationships, Gender and Sexual Equality, Bodies, Sex and Sexual Health. There are activities on consent, pleasure, friendships, assertiveness, contraception, fertility and so much more. All activities are LGBT+ inclusive and designed to encourage critical thinking and consideration of how digital technologies play out in young people’s relationships and sexual lives.
This book offers:
- Session ideas that can be adapted to support you to be creative and innovative in your approach and that allow you to respond to the needs of the young people that you work with.
- Learning aims, time needed for delivery, suggested age groups to work with and instructions on how to deliver each activity, as well as helpful tips and key points for educators to consider in each chapter.
- Activities to help create safe and inclusive spaces for delivering RSE and involve young people in curriculum design.
- A chapter on ‘concluding the learning’ with ideas on how to involve young people in evaluating and reflecting on the curriculum and assessing their learning.
- A list of recommended resources, websites, online training courses and links providing further information about RSE.
With over 200 activities to choose from, this book is an essential resource for teachers, school nurses, youth workers, sexual health practitioners and anyone delivering RSE to young people aged 11–25.
Chapter 1: Introduction Chapter 2: Creating Safer Spaces Chapter 3: Relationships Chapter 4: Gender and Sexual Equality Chapter 5: Bodies Chapter 6: Sex Chapter 7: Sexual Health Chapter 8: Concluding the learning Chapter 9: Useful Resources
"Thanks to all the ideas in this book I’m really enjoying teaching RSE and I can see how much the young people are loving it too. The detailed notes and pointers are really helpful for me, especially when tackling tricky topics like gender. I'm advising every teacher I know to go get a copy!"
- Bryden Joy, Teacher
"Great Relationships and Sex Education has to be the go to book for new and experienced practitioners who want to create an engaging, inclusive and empowering relationships and sexuality education curriculum. Every chapter carefully supports practitioners to develop awareness and confidence on a range of issues from consent to sexual identity with an impressive set of links to find out more about an area of learning or pedagogic technique. Packed with hundreds of interactive activities that can be adapted to any learning environment, this is one of the most comprehensive evidence-based resources from two of the most experienced leading scholar-practitioners in the field."
- Emma Renold, Professor of Childhood Studies, Cardiff University
"This will become one of those books on every PSHE teacher’s shelf that ends up with a multitude of multicoloured tabs poking out... I really hope that it is read by the whole staffroom... The most amazing aspect of the book is the way it helps to give PSHE staff confidence to deal with tricky topics and terminology." - Ceri Stokes, TES