This book looks to cover the issues related to advances in higher education for sustainable development goals. Nowadays, sustainable development is an important concept in higher education. One of the most widely recognized definitions is based in the Brundtland report as "development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs." The three core pillars of sustainable development are environment, society and economy. Currently, higher education in the context of sustainable development goals (SDGs) is a great challenge. The information about higher education for sustainable development presents great interest to improve communication between professors, researches and students in universities, institutes, colleges, etc.
This research book covers all aspects of higher education for sustainable development goals, namely, no poverty, zero hunger, good health and wellbeing, quality education, gender equality, clean water and sanitation, affordable and clean energy, decent work and economic growth, industry, innovation, and infrastructure, reduced inequalities, sustainable cities and communities, responsible consumption and production, climate action, life below water, life on land, peace, justice and strong institutions and partnerships.
1. Pedagogic Resonance and Threshold Concepts to Access the Hidden Complexity of Education for Sustainability
Paulo R.M. Correia, and Ian M. Kinchin
2. Universities - Players in the Race for Sustainable Development
M. Panait, E. Hysa, M.G. Petrescu, and H. Fu
3. Sustainability in Portuguese Higher Education Institutions
Ana Caria, Cristiana Leal, Carolina Machado, Benilde Oliveira and Lídia Oliveira
4. Where is the Brazilian Higher Education Within the Sustainable Development Goal 4?
Sidney L.M. Coelho, Carlos E. Bielschowsky, Marcelo J. Meriño, and Thaís N. da R. Sampaio
5. Incorporating SDG 11 in Higher Education Teaching – The Relevance of Mobility on Sustainable Cities and Communities
Margarida C. Coelho
6. Push and Pull: Sustainability Education for 21st Century Engineers
Salma Shaik, Lakshika N. Kuruppuarachchi, and Matthew J. Franchetti
7. Unleashing Emotions: The Role of Emotional Intelligence Among Students in Upholding Sustainable Development Goals
Christabel Odame, Mrinalini Pandey and David Boohene
8. Pedagogy for Living in Harmony with Nature – Sustainability in Higher Education
Qudsia Kalsoom, and Sibte Hasan