How to Be a Brilliant Teaching Assistant
How to Be a Brilliant Teaching Assistant draws on knowledge from very experienced teaching assistants and Susan Bentham’s own extensive research to explore the common denominators that unite all brilliant teaching assistants. The book explores becoming a brilliant teaching assistant as a journey and not an end point, and provides support that will help you along the way, whether you’re just starting out in your career or you’ve been an experienced teaching assistant for years.
This accessible book covers all aspects of the teaching assistant role, such as:
- Key roles and responsibilities
- Meta-cognition and understanding children’s learning
- Delivering high quality lessons alongside teachers
- Developing useful subject knowledge
- Undertaking research and professional development
Illustrated with activities, discussion points and anecdotes, this book is a source of support, guidance and inspiration for every teaching assistant engaged in the ongoing process of becoming an outstanding professional.
1. What is in a name?
2. Becoming a Brilliant TA
3. The Essentials
4. Understanding Learning
5. Understanding Behaviour
6. Relating to Others
7. What is Best Practice?
8. Using Best Practice to make a Difference
9. What does a Brilliant TA look like?