Readers will find this practical and comprehensive guide to spelling invaluable. Day-to-day advice on how to help those with difficulties is underpinned by information on the development of the English language and its spelling rules with explanations of common language problems. Chapters cover:
- spelling processes
- teaching and learning phonics
- individual cognitive and learning styles
- assessing and monitoring spelling progress
- teaching strategies and techniques.
This is an essential companion for teachers, SENCos, and dyslexia specialists alike, as well as anyone interested in spelling and language difficulties.
Table of Contents
1. Why Spelling and the English Language is a World Heritage Sight/Site 2. Spelling Processes 3. Why Alphabetic Knowledge is the Keystone of Written Language 4. Phonics - The Big Issue 5. Phonological Skills 6. Why Spelling Instruction Should Match an Individual's Stage of Development and Current Spelling Skills 7. Lessons to Learn from the Evolution of Spelling Instruction 8. Matching Teaching Methods and Spelling Strategies to Individual Cognitive and Learning Styles 9. Assessing and Monitoring Spelling Progress 10. Are Spelling Rules Necessary? Are they Helpful? 11. How Knowledge and Understanding of the Advanced Spelling Rules Provide Signposts and Enhance Spelling Skills 12. How to Simplify Teaching and Learning Syllables and Segmentation Skills - The Backbone of Literacy 13. A Roadmap for Spellers Including Some Tips for Short Cuts Through the Spelling Jungle 14. How Information and Communication Technology (ICT) has Revolutionised Living and Learning for those with Dyslexia
Philomena Ott Internationally recognised expert on teaching pupils with specific learning difficulties. She is currently an independent educational consultant, trainer and speaker on dyslexia, conducting seminars and giving lectures around the world.
'Wide-ranging and interesting chapters, packed full of information from research.' - Dyslexia Review. The Journal of the Dyslexia Guild
'Clever hints and summaries...helps the reader to understand the importance of learning styles and error analysis, giving you the confidence in tackling phonics and assessing progress.' - The Teacher. National Union of Teachers (NUT)