How to Teach Poetry Writing: Workshops for Ages 8-13 Developing Creative Literacy
This fully revised and extended third edition of How to Teach Poetry Writing: Workshops for Ages 8–13 is a practical and activity-based resource of writing workshops to help you teach poetry. Designed to build writing, reading, speaking and listening skills, this new edition contains a widened selection of workshops exemplifying a variety of poetry styles, both classic and contemporary.
Highlighting how the unique features of poetry can be used to teach literary skills, this book:
- includes new workshops which introduce, or consolidate, spelling, punctuation and grammar skills;
- encourages debate, discussion, performance and empathy;
- offers a new focus on confidence building and creativity using performance, rhythm, rhyme and rap;
- explores the use of poetry for vocabulary enhancement;
- encourages reading for pleasure;
- provides an A to Z guide to poetry and poetry terminology plus a very extensive bibliography enabling you to keep up to date with poetry and poetry resources;
- represents diverse cultures;
- highlights cross-curricular links.
Promoting creativity, achievement, mastery and enjoyment, How to Teach Poetry Writing: Workshops for Ages 8–13 provides teachers with a wealth of material and the inspiration to create a class of enthusiastic and skilled readers, writers, listeners and performers.
Acknowledgements; A Note from the Author; Introduction: Writers’ Workshop; A to Z of Poetry; Workshop 1: - Licensed to Thrill; Workshop 2: - Monday’s Child; Workshop 3: - The Day the Zoo Escaped; Workshop 4: - Every Word Counts; Workshop 5: Fin Flapper; Workshop 6: - Waves; Workshop 7: - Further On; Workshop 8: - Space Rap; Workshop 9: - The Robin; Workshop 10: - The Poem Hunt; Workshop 11: - I am a Baggy T-Shirt; Workshop 12: - The Sound Collector; Workshop 13: - Nocturnophobia; Workshop 14: - Three; Workshop 15: - December; Workshop 16 - Hubble Bubble; Workshop 17: - The Charge of the Light Brigade; Workshop 18: - My First Day at School; Workshop 19: - Spag Alert!; Workshop 20: - Spelling It Out!; Workshop 21: - Hauntingly; Workshop 22: – Framed!; Bibliography; A to Z of Poets