Now in an updated second edition How to Teach Writing Across the Curriculum: Ages 8-14 provides a range of practical suggestions for teaching non-fiction writing skills and linking them to children’s learning across the curriculum. Emphasising creative approaches to teaching children’s writing in diverse and innovative ways, it provides:
- information on the organisation and language features of the six main non-fiction text types (recount, report, instruction, explanation, persuasion and discussion)
- suggestions for the use of cross-curricular learning as a basis for writing
- planning frameworks for children to promote thinking skills
- advice on developing children’s writing to help with organisational issues – paragraphing and layout, and the key language features
- examples of non-fiction writing
- suggestions for talk for learning and talk for writing (including links to 'Speaking Frames'; also published by Routledge)
- information on the transition from primary to secondary school.
With new hints and tips for teachers and suggestions for reflective practice as well as a wealth of photocopiable materials, How to Teach Writing Across the Curriculum: Ages 8-14 will equip teachers with all the skills needed to create enthusiastic non-fiction writers in their classroom.
Table of Contents
Introduction: Teaching Writing SECTION 1: The Two Horses Model for Cross-Curricular Literacy TALK FOR LEARNING 1. Learn cross-curricular content 2. Organise content for learning TALK FOR WRITING 1. Read examples of the text type 2. Talk the language of writing SECTION 2: CASE STUDIES SECTION 3: TEACHING MATERIALS RECOUNT TEXT REPORT TEXT INSTRUCTION TEXT EXPLANATION TEXT PERSUASION TEXT DISCUSSION TEXT APPENDIX: Supporting writing across the curriculum in secondary schools
Sue Palmer is a writer, broadcaster and education consultant. Specialising in the teaching of literacy, she has authored over 150 books and has contributed to numerous television programmes and software packages. She is the author of Speaking Frames: How to Teach Talk for Writing: Ages 8-10 and Speaking Frames: How to Teach Talk for Writing: Ages 10-14, also published by Routledge.