Inclusive Leadership in Higher Education examines leadership efforts that move beyond simple diversity programs in the journey towards the institutional transformation necessary to create inclusive educational environments. Chapter contributors from higher education institutions across the globe share how leadership is developed and implemented at all levels to create more inclusive organizational cultures. Diverse chapters address the forces and factors associated with organizational change while examining leadership theory, policy, and practices. This important volume provides a comparative perspective, highlighting common themes across a range of institutional and cultural contexts to help leaders promote an organizational mind-set and culture of inclusion and inclusiveness.
Table of Contents
Foreword - Corey Gin
Preface - The Urgent Matter of Inclusive Leadership in Higher Education - Lorraine Stefani and Patrick Blessinger
1. Inclusive Leadership in Higher Education: Inclusion as a Core Institutional Value
Patrick Blessinger and Lorraine Stefani
2. Leadership Challenges for Women College and University Presidents: Personal Perspectives from Women Making a Difference
Cathy Sandeen, Christine K. Cavanaugh, Deborah Ford
3. Women and Intellectual Leadership in East Asia’s Academic Professions: A Review of the Literature
Hei-hang Hayes Tang
4. Intersectionality and Inclusive Leadership in the University: 3 Case Studies from Denmark
5. Cultivating Inclusive Leadership in Higher Education Teaching through Action Learning
6. Inclusive Environments in UK Universities - Some Surprising Challenges for Leaders
7. Navigating Through Tough Waves Towards Inclusive Leadership: A Case Study from Saudi Arabia
Eqbal Z. Darandari
8. Leadership and Inclusiveness: A Perspective from Middle East and Central Asian Universities
9. Inclusive Leadership: Lessons from South Africa
10. To be the African University in the Service of Humanity
11. Understanding the Grit and Gravitas Underlying Culturally Sustaining Inclusive Leadership in Academe
Lorri J. Santamaría and Andrés P. Santamaría
12. Inclusive Institutional Leadership Through Community Engagement
John P. Anchan
13. A Multi-Lens View of Inclusive Leadership in Higher Education
About the contributors
Lorraine Stefani is President of the International Higher Education Teaching and Learning Association (HETL) and Professor of Higher Education Strategic Engagement in the Faculty of Education and Social Work at the University of Auckland, New Zealand.
Patrick Blessinger is Chief Research Scientist for the International Higher Education Teaching and Learning Association (HETL) and Adjunct Associate Professor of Education at St John’s University, USA.
Featured Author Profiles
"For educational progress, university leaders must successfully promote inclusion along with diversity. The essays published in Inclusive Leadership in Higher Education reveal the struggles of university leaders to achieve inclusive and effective modes of leadership. All who work to bring universities forward to greater inclusiveness can benefit greatly from reading this book."
-Alice H. Eagly, James Padilla Chair of Arts and Sciences, and Professor of Psychology, Northwestern University, USA
"This book comes as a breath of fresh air in a world currently in the grips of a new breed of divisive political leaders. Inclusive Leadership in Higher Education acts as a timely reminder of the centrality of the moral dimension in what great leadership truly means for those managing in an increasingly complex local and global environment."
-Bruce Macfarlane, Professor of Higher Education, and Director, Centre for Educational Policy, University of Southampton, UK