India Migration Report 2019 Diaspora in Europe
India Migration Report 2019 examines the issues of identity related to integration in European societies. It examines the multifarious nature of social, economic and political engagements of the Indian diaspora with their host societies in Europe.
- assesses the historical trends in migration to Europe, mobility paths and transnational networks of skilled Indian migrants, as well as recent tendencies in movements of migrants;
- explores the roles of Indian migrants in transforming host societies with their skills and capabilities;
- highlights their contribution towards the development of their homeland through knowledge transfer, philanthropy, capital flows, remittances and investment;
- takes stock of the impact of recent events, especially Brexit and anti-immigrant positioning of some political parties;
- uses mixed research methods including ethnography, key informant interviews and in-depth case studies.
The volume will be of great interest to scholars and researchers of development studies, economics, demography, sociology and social anthropology, and migration and diaspora studies.
1 Skilled Indians in Switzerland: mobility paths and transnational connections 2 Crossing past and present: heritage and identity among Hindu-Gujarati diaspora in Portugal 3 Indian community in the United Kingdom: settlement, achievements and challenges 4 The Punjabi diaspora in the United Kingdom: an overview of characteristics and contributions to India 5 Pathways of integration in Italy: Indian immigrants in Emilia Romagna 6 International migration and place-based inequalities: the case of high-skilled migration and student mobility to eastern Germany 7 The abstract concept of an ‘Indian community’: perceptions of high-skilled migrants and international students from India in Germany 8 Skilled Indian migrants and their differential engagement with the Dutch society 9 Transnational emotion work: the Punjabi diaspora in Europe 10 Creating communities within a community: understanding the Indian diaspora in Europe 11 The effect of economic capital and Swedish cultural capital on bonding and bridging ties: a study of first-generation Malayalees in Sweden 12 Transforming homelands: Punjabi diaspora and capital flows 13 Diasporic ageing and home-making practices of Hindustani Surinamese older adults in the Netherlands 14 From Kerala to Switzerland: India’s forgotten diaspora 15 Changing demographics and intimate relation patterns among Indian diaspora in Denmark 16 Economic impacts of migration on UK labour markets: the case study of Indians in Britain 17 The impact of the Trump administration on immigration 18 Impact of demographic transition in Kerala on migration and labour force 19 Panel data analysis in Kerala Migration Surveys, 1998–2013 20 Migration and income inequality: evidence from rural Uttar Pradesh