Globalization, demographic shifts, increase in student enrollments, rapid technological transformation, and market-driven environments are altering the way higher education operates today. Institutional Research and Planning in Higher Education explores the impact of these changes on decision support and the nature of institutional research in higher education. Bringing together a diverse set of global contributors, this volume covers contemporary thinking on the practices of academic planning and its impact on key issues such as access, institutional accountability, quality assurance, educational policy priorities, and the development of higher education data systems.
Table of Contents
Foreword – Randy L Swing
Section I: Institutional Research in Context
- Institutional Research, Planning and Decision Support in Higher Education Today - Angel Calderon & Karen L. Webber
- Institutional and Educational Research in Higher Education: Common Origins, Diverging Practices- Victor M. H. Borden & Karen L. Webber
- Transnational IR Collaborations - Charles Mathies
- Institutional Research and Planning in Higher Education in the United States and Canada – Gerald W. McLaughlin, Richard D. Howard, and Sandra Bramblett
- Institutional Research in Europe: A View from the European Association for Institutional Research - Jeroen Huisman, Peter Hoekstra, and Mantz Yorke
- Decision Support Issues in Central and Eastern Europe - Manja Klemencic, Ninoslav Scukanec, and Janja Komljenovic
- Institutional Research in the UK and Ireland - Steve Woodfield
- Strategic Planning and Institutional Research: The Case of Australia - Marian Mahat and Hamish Coates
- Institutional Research in South Africa in the Service of Strategic and Academic Decision Support - Jan Botha
- Institutional Research in Latin America – Mauricio Saavedra, María Pita-Carranza, and Pablo Opazo
- Institutional Research in Asia - Jang Wan Ko
- Institutional Research and Planning in the Middle East – Diane Nauffal
- Business Intelligence as a Data –based Decision Support System and its Roles in Support of Institutional Research and Planning – Henry Y. Zheng
- Strategic Planning in a Global University: Big Challenges and Practical Responses - Julie Wells
- In Light of Globalization, Massification, and Marketization: Some Considerations on the Uses of Data in Higher Education - Angel Calderon
- Towards a Knowledge Footprint Framework: Initial Baby Steps - Anand Kulkarni, Angel Calderon, & Amber Douglas
- The Evolution of Institutional Research: Maturity Models of Institutional Research and Decision Support and Possible Directions for the Future - John Taylor
- Eyes to the Future: Challenges Ahead for Institutional Research and Planning - Karen L Webber
Section II: National and Regional Context of Institutional Research
Section III: Themes of Institutional Research Practice
Karen L. Webber is Associate Professor in the Institute of Higher Education at The University of Georgia, USA.
Angel J. Calderon is the Principal Advisor of Planning and Research at RMIT University, Australia.
"Institutional Research and Planning in Higher Education brings together an impressive collection of practitioners to convey a global perspective of institutional research and planning. The book offers valuable insight into the developing role of IR and planning in diverse higher education environments."
--Gloria Crisp, Associate Editor, New Directions for Institutional Research (NDIR) and Associate Professor, The University of Texas at San Antonio
"Institutional research (IR) – and the practitioners who undertake it – offers evidence-based support for policy and governance in a volatile world. This timely and topical volume provides detailed insight into how these decision-support systems operate, the challenges they face, and the outcomes achieved in terms of quality improvement of institutions and informed understanding of higher education’s contributions to society."
--Robin Middlehurst, Professor of Higher Education, Kingston University