Instructional Strategies for Middle and High School
- Available for pre-order on June 2, 2023. Item will ship after June 23, 2023
Prices & shipping based on shipping country
Instructional Strategies for Middle and High School is an accessible, practical, and engaging methods textbook that introduces pre-service teachers to various instructional strategies and helps them to decide how and when to use these methods in the classroom.
Classrooms are comprised of diverse learners, and aspiring teachers will face complex decisions about student assessment. This book offers practical suggestions for ways to integrate effective classroom management and valid assessment techniques with each instructional strategy. Key features include:
- Clear, step-by-step descriptions of six instructional techniques that pre-service teachers can realistically implement within the classroom setting and videos of these strategies being employed in actual middle-school classrooms;
- Practical suggestions for ways to integrate effective classroom management and valid assessment techniques with each instructional strategy;
- Concrete examples to illustrate each concept or teaching method described;
- Guidelines for deciding which instructional methods are most appropriate to different classroom situations and for diverse learners, including "Teaching with Technology" and "Teaching English Language Learners" features now included in every chapter.
This book equips pre-service teachers with the methodological tools to promote understanding, conceptual awareness, and learning for every student. Updated and fully comprehensive online support materials, with both student and instructor resources, offer real-world applications of strategies, classroom assessment and management. Resources include videos, lesson templates, review questions, state standard assessments, and more.
Table of Contents
Introduction Part 1: Teaching on a Solid Foundation 1. The Learner and the Classroom Learning Community 2. What Students Learn (And You Teach) 3. Preparing Learning Targets and Assessing Student Learning 4. Long and Short Range Planning Part 2: Examining Six Instructional Strategies 5. Lecture/Interactive Presentation 6. Questioning 7. Cooperative Learning 8. Simulations, Role-Play and Dramatization 9. Discussion and Debate 10. Inquiry and Student-Directed Investigations Glossary
Bruce E. Larson is Professor of Social Studies and Secondary Education at Western Washington University, USA.