Intumescent Coating and Fire Protection of Steel Structures establishes the thermo insulation characteristics of intumescent coating under various fire and hydrothermal aging circumstances and shows how to predict the temperature elevation of steel structures protected with intumescent coatings in fires for avoiding structural damage.
Introduced are the features and applications of intumescent coatings for protecting steel structures against fire. The constant effective thermal conductivity is defined and employed to simplify the quantification for the thermo-resistance of intumescent coatings. An experimental investigation into the hydrothermal aging effects on insulative properties of intumescent coatings is presented, as well as the influence of topcoat on insulation and aging of intumescent coatings. Also described is a practical method for calculating the temperature of the protected steel structures with intumescent coatings in order to evaluate the fire safety of a structure.
The book is aimed at fire and structural engineers, as well as researchers and students concerned with the protection of steel structures.
1. Introduction to intumescent coatings.
2. Determining the thermal resistance of intumescent coatings.
3. Behaviour of intumescent coatings under large space fire.
4. Behaviour of intumescent coatings exposed to localized fire.
5. Hydrothermal aging effects on insulative properties of intumescent coatings.
6. Influence of topcoat on insulation and anti-aging performance of intumescent coatings.
7. Predicting temperatures of steel substrates with intumescent coatings under non-uniform fire heating condition.