This book looks at Japanese companies in manufacturing and services sectors and how they are trying to emerge from the prolonged uncertainty of the pandemic. The chapters are written by those dealing with Japanese business under the shadow of the pandemic and being influenced by the continuous and rapid adoption of digital technologies in business and our daily lives.
This book brings together the experiences of big and small corporations while looking at how digital transformation and the pandemic combined have led to a transformation in the product, production processes and services. It highlights the role played by robots, 3-D printing and renewable energy in manufacturing while the impact can be seen in the changes coming to future offices, how we work and interact and how we relax through tourism and travel on the service side. The services sector is as much impacted by digital transformation and the pandemic as any other field in business.
Aimed at academics, researchers and practitioners, Japanese Business Operations in an Uncertain World will provide valuable insights into how Japanese organizations are adapting to the dual impact of the pandemic and advancements in digital technologies.
Section 1: Manufacturing
1. Diffusion of innovation and the role of intermediaries as system integrators
2. How Hitachi’s Globalization Efforts Prepared it for COVID-19
David "Chet" Chetwynd
3. Efforts to promote renewable energy: Ecosystem and regional perspectives
Nobutaka Odake and Kana Hayase
4. Adaptation strategies of Hyundai Motor Group to the green shift in automotive industry post Covid-19
5. Renewable energy for a Sustainable Future: Can Japan Catch Up?
6. Current Status and Issues of Metal 3D Printing Business in Japan
Yukako Harata and Nobutaka Odake
Section 2: Services
7. Expectations for Escape from Restraints on Japanese Digital Transformation During COVID-19
Hiroki Ishikura and Anshuman Khare
8. The Impact of Covid on Office Work in Japan
Kieran Gane and Ayaka Sato
9. Japanese business communication in the COVID crisis: A study of horenso and its implications
10. Research on promoting cashless payments in Japan to cope with COVID-19
Midori Takao and Shigetsune Yamoto
11. COVID-19 pandemic impact on Japanese travel and tourism industry and new challenges in the "with COVID-19" and "after COVID-19" era
12. System Development and New Human Resource Development in the Japanese IT Industry
13. Issues in research universities to realize large-scale joint research