Keep Your Word
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after February 28, 2023
Prices & shipping based on shipping country
To get the complete Idioms for Inclusivity experience, this book can be purchased alongside four others as a set, Idioms for Inclusivity: Fostering Belonging with Language, 978-1-032-28635-8.
Informed by sociolinguistic research, yet written accessibly, Keep Your Word challenges readers to investigate the act of promising as it relates to both language-use and inclusivity.
This engaging and delightfully illustrated book invites students to engage with concepts such as:
- the cultural meaning of the idiom "keep your word",
- Speech Acts and Felicity Conditions, two frameworks that linguists use to research and understand promises,
- why the expectation to "keep your word" can make someone feel excluded,
- and how understanding the way language works can help learn to be more inclusive.
Featuring practical inclusivity tips related to promises, this enriching curriculum supplement can be used in a Language Arts setting to learn about figurative language; in a Social Studies setting to discuss diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging; or as an introduction to linguistics for students ages 7-14.
Table of Contents
1. About This Book 2. How To Use This Book in Your Teaching Practice 3. Glossary 4. The Idiom 5. The Linguistic Theory 6. The Inclusive Solution 7. Practical Language Tips 8. Bibliography 9. Meet the Author and Illustrator
Samantha Beaver is a workplace communications analyst and linguist with over 8 years of language research and teaching/training experience. She is currently CEO & Founder of Memra Language Services.