How a staff team works together and how effective and cohesive they are impacts significantly on the children that they care for as well as having implications for the general early years practice and the success of the business of the setting. Drawing together theory and practice this book provides comprehensive guidance on recruiting, supervising and leading an early years team in line with the most recent national guidance.
Focusing on all aspects of leading and supporting a team, the book aims to inspire managers and increase their confidence. It looks at the day-to-day demands of running a setting and the reflective thinking that is needed to establish a vision for a team. The authors consider the skills needed to lead and support a team and offers practical guidance on:
- recruitment, induction, ongoing staff training and supervision
- disciplinary processes including handling difficult conversations, refocusing a team after a critical incident
- staff relationships with parents and other professionals
- involving the team in problem solving and implementing change
- engaging with the community
- how to get support for yourself as a manager
This book will be invaluable support for both new and experienced managers wanting to establish a cohesive and dynamic staff team and provide outstanding childcare provision.