226 pages | 43 B/W Illus.
Managing Online Learning is a comprehensive guide to planning and executing effective online learning programs. Featuring contributions from experienced professionals across operations in university and corporate settings, this all-in-one resource provides leaders and administrators with informed strategies for supporting learners’ and instructors’ evolving needs, implementing and evaluating pedagogically sound technologies, projecting revenue-generating models, and anticipating future scaling challenges. These highly applied chapters cover essential topics such as unit design, management of staff and finances, student engagement, user experience and interface, data analytics, and more.
Section One: Organizational Leadership and Management
1. Overview of Online Learning and an (Un)official History
2. Preparing the Path: Building an Online Learning Unit for Next-Generation Learners
3. Leading and Finding the Way: Leadership and Finances in Online Learning
4. Keeping the Machine and Culture in Sync: Creative Management of Technology-Enhanced Teams
Section Two: Challenges and Opportunities for Learners
5. Supporting the Online Student: From Suspect to Graduate (Alumni)
Lisa Ann Bellantuono
6. Seeing the World: Introduction to International Online Learners
7. Overcoming Faculty Resistance to Teaching Online
8. A Voice in the Wilderness: Overcoming Isolation in Online Learning
Section Three: Course Design and Development
9. Building the Scene: Storyboarding and Course Design for Interactive and Engaging Learning
10. The Windows to the Soul: User Experience Design for Online Learners
Patrice Torcivia Prusko
11. Lights, Camera, Online: Building an Online Learning Studio to Support Next-Generation Course Development
12. Engineers Welcome: Designing and Teaching STEM Online
Section Four: Ongoing Improvements
13. Pocket Data Analytics: An Instruction to Practical Applications of Course Analytics in Online Learning
14. Understanding and Ensuring Quality: Designing Assessments and Evaluations for Online Learning
Elisabeth Gabriel Stucklen
Epilogue: Days of Future Past: Where Do We Go From Here?