This straightforward guide to the professional standards and requirements for primary teachers illustrates the best ways of developing knowledge and how to acquire the skills needed to achieve QTS.
Meeting the Standards in Primary English will:
- explain the Standards relating to English teaching
- link the theory associated with the teaching of English to the practical application
- look in detail at the teaching of reading, fiction, writing, speaking and listening, ICT in literacy and drama
- assist the understanding of grammar and language study
- consider the issues of continuing professional development
This practical guide to meeting the standards will be invaluable for students on primary training courses, lecturers and mentors supporting trainees in English education programmes and newly qualified teachers (NQTs).
Table of Contents
1. Introduction: Welcome to Your Teaching Career 2. What do we Mean by Primary English? 3. Reading 4. Fiction 5. Writing, 6. Speaking and Listening 7. Grammar 8. Standard English and Language Study 9. Drama 10. ICT for Literacy 11. Whole Class and Group Based Teaching and Learning in the National Literacy Strategy 12. Planning and Assessment13. The Implications of Transition and Transfer Between the Key Stages for Teachers of Primary English 14. Into Your Future 15. Conclusion