Education for All (EFA) has been a top priority for governments and intergovernmental development agencies for the last twenty years. So far the global EFA movement has placed its principal focus on providing quality universal primary education (UPE) for all children by 2015.
The latest addition to The Open and Flexible Learning series, this book addresses the new challenges created by both the successes and the failures of the UPE campaign. This book advocates new approaches for providing access to secondary education for today’s rapidly growing population of children and young adults and examines:
- the creation and expansion of Mega-Schools, which combine distance learning and community support and have a proven track record of increasing access at scale
- how to prepare the ten-million new teachers that are required to achieve Education for All by 2015 by focusing on classroom-based in-service training
- strategies for using technology to scale up distance education cost-effectively
- the creation of a twenty-first century educational ecosystem that integrates open schooling and teacher education with communities and their school systems
- successful examples of open schools and teacher education programmes operating at scale around the world.
Readers will be delighted to find that Sir John Daniel, bestselling Routledge author of Mega Universities and Knowledge Media, delivers another insightful and practical book on educational technology. Mega-Schools, Technology and Teachers will be of interest to all who are concerned by the central educational challenge of our times: providing secondary education to tens of millions of young people around the world.
Table of Contents
Series Editor's Foreword
Glossary of Acronyms
1. Education for All – Unfinished Business
2. Seeking a Silver Bullet
3. Technology is the Answer – What is the Question?
4. Open Schools and Mega-Schools
5. Teacher Education at Scale
6. Strategies for Success
Appendix 1: Profiles – Selected Open Schools and Mega-Schools
Appendix 2: Programmes and Mechanisms for Expanding Teacher Supply
Sir John Daniel has been president and CEO of the Commonwealth of Learning since 2004 after previous appointments as assistant director-general of UNESCO and vice-chancellor of the UK Open University.