Teachers see the impact of pupils’ mental wellbeing on the experience of school every day. But often there is not enough practical advice on what can be done to support pupils who might need help and especially for pupils from diverse backgrounds, who might face unique challenges. This important book is a practice-facing, evidence-based guide for teachers, support staff, education students, and schools, giving advice on the ways in which we can support the mental wellbeing of pupils from diverse backgrounds.
Bringing together advice and strategies for supporting pupil mental health and wellbeing, this book makes accessible key knowledge about mental health and examines how this might vary in different pupil populations by exploring the unique challenges for disadvantaged and minority pupils. Offering valuable insights into the diverse nature of pupils’ mental health experiences, each chapter provides practical suggestions and approaches that teachers can use in the classroom, and schools can adopt into their pastoral care systems.
Including real-life case studies and key takeaways, Mental Wellbeing in Schools will be valuable reading for teachers in primary and secondary schools as well as school leaders.
1. What Do Teachers Need to Know About Mental Wellbeing in Young People?
2. Black pupils, Mental Wellbeing, and Resilience
Jason Arday and Laura Morton
3. British Bangladeshi Pupils’ Mental Wellbeing in Schools
Nilufar Ahmed, Arif Mahmud and Fuad Ali
4. Gypsy, Roma, and Traveller Pupils and Mental Wellbeing
5. British Chinese Pupils’ Mental Wellbeing
Bonnie Pang, Lizana Oberholzer and Winnie Sin Wai Pui
6. Educating White Working-Class Boys: Addressing Masculinity, Wellbeing and Mental Health
7. Teenage Girls and Mental Health and Wellbeing Within and Beyond School Spaces
Victoria Cann and Catherine Thomas
8. Including Pupils who Identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender or Queer (LGBTQ+)
Jonathan Glazzard and Samuel Stones
9. Supporting pupils who identify as Trans*
10. Mental Wellbeing of Children Looked After (CLA) in schools
11. Pedagogies of Welcome: Simple Yet Profound Acts to Support Refugee Pupils’ Mental Wellbeing
12. Mental Wellbeing challenges of Muslim pupils in UK schools
Sania Shakoor, Muthanna Samara and Hisham M. Abu-Rayya
13. Accommodating King Saul: Jewish Pupils and Mental Health
Maxim G.M. Samson
14. Children with Physical or Intellectual Impairments and Mental Wellbeing
Sian E. Jones, Clare Uytman, Leanne Ali, Laura Dalnoki, Alicia Kaliff, Daphne Lola-Luz, Morvern Mackintosh, Amanda McCune, William Muir and Kiia Uusitalo
15. Bereavement: Impact on Learner Identity, Mental Health and wellbeing
16. Conclusion: What Can We Do to Support the Mental Wellbeing of Pupils from Diverse Backgrounds?
Arif Mahmud and Liam Satchell