Oil Spill Occurrence, Simulation, and Behavior
Oil Spill Occurrence, Simulation, and Behavior provides practical insight into oil spills and their causes, impacts, response and cleanup methods, simple and advanced modeling of oil spill behavior, and oil spill simulation techniques.
- Discusses various sources of oil spills and major accidents
- Includes case studies on the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill, including environmental, economic, and political impacts, modeling and behavior as well as response and cleanup methods
- Introduces some commercial softwares on predicting oil movement and spreading on water
- Describes properties and characteristics of crude oil and its products needed for simulation and prediction of behavior of an oil slick
- Written as an applied book with minimal math and theory, making it accessible to a wide range of readers
- The book includes more than 100 unique and informative images in color
This essential book is aimed at professionals, academics, and scientists in the fields of chemical engineering, petroleum engineering, environmental engineering, marine and ocean engineering working on the simulation and modeling, mitigation, and prevention of oil spills.
Preface. 1. Introduction. 2. Characteristics and Properties of Crude Oil and Its Products. 3. Sources and Causes of Oil Spills. 4. Major Oil Spills: Occurrence and Their Impacts. 5. Environmental, Economic and Political Impacts: Case of BP Oil Spill. 6. Oil Spill Response and Cleanup Methods – Case of BP Oil Spill. 7. A Simple Model to Predict Rate of Oil Spill Disappearance. 8. Advanced Modeling and Simulation Techniques. 9. Economic and Financial Impacts of Oil Spills.
"…extensive and practical. I am very impressed with [the author’s] use of knowledge of oil and gas properties to protect the environment."
—Tao Yang, Specialist Reservoir Technology, Equinor, Norway
"This book encapsulates all that is needed to correctly respond to a potential spill."
—Alon Mandel, Principal Chemical Engineer, Hendler Engineers Ltd, Israel
"A much-needed reference and analysis on past incidents for use in [the] industry today."
—Jeff Chestnut, Principal, Critical Point, Texas
"Excellent book, the coverage of topics and quality of printing and illustrations are nicely done."
—Prof. Kamy Sepehrnoori, University of Texas at Austin, Texas
"This applied book will show my students the applications of chemical engineering science in monitoring and controlling accidental oil spills from both environmental and safety points of views."
—Prof. Juliana Puello Méndez, Universidad de San Buenaventura Cartagena, Colombia