Pathways to Professorship A Toolkit for Success
People who become professors are experts in their field. But how does a new academic, aspiring to become a professor, choose a field of study and plan a career that leads to professorship? This practical book answers this question, guiding aspiring academics step by step through the areas in which they need to demonstrate excellence if they are to gain the international recognition and professional profile which leads to a professorial post.
Each chapter highlights real-life, internationally applicable examples of what successful achievements look like and what pitfalls to be aware of. Supported by an international survey of professors and their experiences working within university systems, the chapters outline key topics relevant to any aspiring professor. For example:
- Criteria for obtaining a professorship
- Carving out a specialist research niche
- Establishing an international reputation
- Advice on getting your research published
- Undertaking impactful research and winning funding
- Networking and developing a media presence
- Balancing research, teaching and your personal life
This must-have book is filled with tips and practical advice for building an academic career and is an essential read for anyone looking to better understand routes into professorship.
1. Developing your ten-year career plan; 2. Which university? Meeting the teaching, research and service criteria; 3. Contracts, accountability, roles and funding your salary; 4. Becoming an expert and a thought leader; 5. Mentorship and international networking; 6. Building your media presence and political impact; 7. Technology tools of the trade; 8. Publishing books; 9. Writing academic articles for publication and developing your academic profile; 10. Applying for research funding: A vital part of the journey towards professorship; 11. Leadership, mentoring and paying forward