The professional code of the General Teaching Council lists eight new standards, each of them analysed here in detail using questions and activities to describe what trainee teachers need to know, understand and demonstrate as they work towards Qualified Teacher Status. Each of the eight standards cover the following issues:
- expectations, diversity and achievement
- personal and professional values
- values in the classroom
- values, rights and responsibilities in the wider community
- the community of the school
- professional relationships
- personal and professional development
- professional responsibility.
This practical and jargon-free guide features an extensive range of examples and suggestions for further reading, designed to help those in their early professional development.
Table of Contents
1. Professional Values and Practices in Teaching 2.The Professional Ethics of Teachers 3. Expectations, Diversity and Achievement 4. Values in the Classroom 5. Professional Relationships with Parents and Pupils 6. Professional Relationships with Colleagues 7. The Community of the School 8. Personal and Professional Development 9. Professional Responsibilities
James Arthur is Professor of Education and Head of Educational Research at Canterbury Christ Church University College. Jon Davison is Dean of Initial and Continuing Professional Development at the Institute of Education, University of London. Malcolm Lewis directed the PGCE course at the University of Bristol from 1996-2002 and is currently PGCE Partnership Co-ordinator and Director of Professional Development.