Recycled Ceramics in Sustainable Concrete: Properties and Performance explores the use of novel waste materials in the construction industry as sustainable and environmentally friendly alternatives to traditional cement production technologies. It specifically focuses on using waste ceramics as a binder and aggregate replacement for concrete.
- Includes a lifecycle assessment
- Describes recycling of ceramic tile waste as fine and coarse aggregate replacement
- Discusses microstructure performance of sustainable concrete
- Evaluates performance of sustainable concrete exposed to elevated temperatures and corrosives
Written for materials, chemical, and civil engineers as well as others who develop construction materials, this book provides readers with a thorough understanding of the merits of using waste ceramics to produce sustainable concrete..
Table of Contents
1. Recycling of Ceramic Wastes: Emerging Research and Opportunities.
2. Chemical, Physical, and Mineral Properties of Ceramic Wastes.
3. Utilizing Ceramic Wastes in the Concrete Industry.
4. Effects of Ceramic Waste on Durability Performance of Traditional Concrete.
5. Properties of Ceramic Waste-Based Alkali-Activated Mortars.
6. Bond Strength Performance of Alkali-Activated Mortars in Aggressive Environments.
7. Ceramic Waste-Based Self-Compacting Alkali-Activated Concrete.
8. Durability Performance of Ceramic Waste–Based Alkali-Activated Mortars.
9. Performance Evaluation Alkali-Activated Mortar Exposed to Elevated Temperatures.
10. Sustainability of Ceramic Waste in the Concrete Industry.
11. Alkali-Activated Mortars Containing Ceramic Waste as Repair Material.
12. Structural Applications of Alkali-Activated Concrete Containing Ceramic Waste.
Prof. Shah Kwok Wei is presently Assistant Professor and Deputy Program Director under the Dept. of Building, School of Design and Environment, National University Singapore. He is Advisory Board member of Vietnam Green Building Council and sits on VGBC Education Committee. He lectures for REHDA GreenRE in Malaysia and Visiting Fellow of University Technology of Malaysia, UTM. He is Visiting Professor at Tianjin University of Technology, China. He is appointed BCA Ambassador for 3 year period and a member of SPRING and SGBC technical committees. He served as Technical Consultant for Ascendas Services Pte Ltd, Chief Technical Advisor for Bronx Culture Pte Ltd.
Dr. Shah’s research interest is on nanotechnology and nanomaterials for green building applications. Dr. Shah has done outstanding research work on a novel low-cost high-volume aqueous silica-coating technique and has been granted a US Patent (US 20130196057 A1). His research paper published by Nanoscale (Nanoscale, Impact Factor=6.739, DOI:10.1039/C4NR03306J) on "Noble metal nanoparticles coated with silica by a simple process that does not employ alcohol" was highlighted by popular online science magazines such as ScienceDaily, Physorg and A*STAR website. Separately, Dr. Shah’s research on microencapsulated phase change materials enhanced by highly thermal conductive nanowires (Journal of Materials Chem. A, DOI: 10.1039/C3TA14550F, Impact Factor=6.626) led to the development of "M-KOOL" phase change cooling technology, which was featured on Physorg, Channel News Asia, Straits Times, Business Times, TODAY, The Star Online and Lianhe Wanbao. So far, Dr Shah’s achievements include 3 first-authored papers, 9 co-authored papers, 1 book chapter, 12 patents disclosures and 1 commercial licensing.
Dr. Ghasan Fahim Huseien is a research fellow at Department of Building, School of Design and Environment, National University of Singapore, Singapore. He received his PhD degree from University Technology Malaysia in 2017. Dr. Huseien has over 5 years of Applied R&D as well as 10 years’ experience in manufacturing smart materials for sustainable building and smart cities. He has expertise in Advanced Sustainable Construction Materials covering Civil Engineering, Environmental Sciences and Engineering, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, Geology, Architecture departments, etc. He authored and co-authored +50 publications and technical reports, 3 books and 15 book chapters and participated in 25 national and international conferences/workshops. He is peer reviewer for several international journals as well as Master and PhD students. He is a member of Concrete Society of Malaysia and American Concrete Institute.