Redefining More Able Education is an essential, up to date and challenging introduction to the many factors involved in teaching more able students. Written by Ian Warwick, founder of London Gifted and Talented, and Ray Speakman, this book challenges our understanding of provision for the more able and explores ways in which we can ensure that students reach their full potential.
Providing a thorough overview of topical research, the book offers a range of practical solutions for engaging students and encouraging them to become more independent in their learning. Warwick and Speakman explore key ideas including differentiation, resilience and motivation, and unpick issues including the history of more able education, the relationship between intelligence and achievement, working with marginalised groups and how students can overcome barriers when applying to top universities. A dedicated chapter summarises 21 easy-to-implement strategies that can make a real difference to teaching practice.
This definitive guide to more able education will be essential reading for teachers, school leaders and any education professionals reflecting on different approaches to motivating and teaching the more able in order to better provide for all their students.
1. Introduction: What to take on board?
2. Framing more able education: Baggage check?
3. History’s mislaid ideas: Lost property?
4. IQ and character: Boarding Passes?
5. Submerged populations and overlooked student groups: Missing passengers?
6. The long shadow of poverty: Restricted Visibility?
7. What research tells parents: Accompanied or alone?
8. Whose classroom is it anyway? Seating allocations?
9. What drives exceptional teaching and learning: Altitude or speed?
10. Dependence to independence: Autopilot or co-pilot?
11. Underachievement and motivation: Lost horizons?
12. The journey to university: The long haul?
13. 21 ways to shape a whole school culture: Happy landings?
14. Glossary of concepts: Passport check?
Looking to purchase 10 Mindframes for Visible Learning in your school? We offer discounts for schools when purchasing in larger volumes. To discuss these options please contact Louise Perrier.
Direct Dial +44 (20) 701 745528
Switchboard: +44 (0) 207 017 6000