This Expo book brings together leading academic and policymaker experts to reflect on the significant challenges faced by lagging regions in participating in the European Union’s Research and Innovation Strategies for Smart Specialisation (RIS3) programme. In doing so, the book offers a set of new policy recommendations on the design and implementation of appropriate Smart Specialisation Strategies (S3) in lagging regions, which may enable them to benefit from the opportunities of digitalisation and Industry 4.0 (I4.0).
List of Contributors
2. Perspectives on Smart Specialisation Policies in Lagging Regions
3. An Extra-Regional Collaborative Approach to Smart Specialisation
4. Smart Specialisation in Eastern Europe: Insights from two lagging Polish Regions
5. Transformation and Transition to Industry 4.0: the Slovenian Smart Transformational Approach
6. Industry 4.0, Regional Disparities and Transformative Industrial Policy
7. The future of place-based innovation policy (as if ‘lagging regions’ really mattered)