92 pages | 16 Color Illus.
This Expo book brings together leading academic and policymaker experts to reflect on the significant challenges faced by lagging regions in participating in the European Union’s Research and Innovation Strategies for Smart Specialisation (RIS3) programme. In doing so, the book offers a set of new policy recommendations on the design and implementation of appropriate Smart Specialisation Strategies (S3) in lagging regions, which may enable them to benefit from the opportunities of digitalisation and Industry 4.0 (I4.0).
List of Contributors
2. Perspectives on Smart Specialisation Policies in Lagging Regions
3. An Extra-Regional Collaborative Approach to Smart Specialisation
4. Smart Specialisation in Eastern Europe: Insights from two lagging Polish Regions
5. Transformation and Transition to Industry 4.0: the Slovenian Smart Transformational Approach
6. Industry 4.0, Regional Disparities and Transformative Industrial Policy
7. The future of place-based innovation policy (as if ‘lagging regions’ really mattered)
Policy Expo books are an exciting new series of publications from the Regional Studies Association. The books in this series are commissioned to address topical policy questions of contemporary importance to all communities engaged in regional and urban studies issues. The term "Expo" is taken to mean "a comprehensive description and meaning of an idea or theory". The publication style is to use clear and coherent narrative addressing evidence for different policy and theoretical positions. Each topic is broad in scope, achieving global reach and relevance wherever possible. There is a consistent focus on the impact of policy research both in terms its reach to policy, academic and practitioner communities and also in its significance, to show how evidence can inform policy change within regional and urban studies.