Sharing Your Education Expertise with the World Make Research Resonate and Widen Your Impact
This highly practical guide helps education experts of all levels share their knowledge, work, and research beyond their own field and colleagues. By pursuing the recommendations in this book, educators and researchers can increase the exposure of their ideas and impact more students’ lives (this also enhances readers’ CVs and careers). Chapters cover the most effective and efficient ways to share readers’ expertise with the world, such as:
- Branding (crafting your pitch and leveraging social media)
- Writing (landing book deals and succeeding in key writing opportunities)
- Speaking (giving TED Talks, delivering conference keynote presentations, appearing on NPR, landing interviews, and contributing to public dialogue)
- Participating and serving (making connections, influencing policy, and joining panels or advisory boards)
- Honors (winning awards and recognition to expand your platform)
Rich in tips, strategies, and guidelines, this book also includes downloadable eResources that provide links, leads, and templates to help secure radio broadcasts, podcasts, conferences, and other publication opportunities.
The eResources can be found under the Support Materials heading below!
Meet the Author
3. Writing Anything
4. Writing Short-Form (Articles, Papers, Etc.)
5. Writing Books
6. Speaking Anywhere
7. Preparing Slides for Anywhere
8. Speaking at Conferences and Other Events
9. Speaking on Air and Recordings
13. Multiply Your Impact
"Whether through social media, personal branding, webcasts, or other more traditional methods, scholars must engage gatekeepers and the public in whatever work they put forth. Unfortunately, most education experts don’t learn how to do this. Dr. Rankin’s Sharing Your Education Expertise With the World is the step-by-step, 21st century guide scholars need to impact today's world."
- Norman Eng, Founder of EducationXDesign and Adjunct Assistant Professor, The City College of New York
"Dr. Grant-Rankin's book is brilliant! It provides creative and practical ways to get published, whether you are a doctoral student or a professor."
- Colette Boston, Assistant Principal, Hillcrest Center for Enriched Studies/Music Magnet, CA
"Sharing your Education Expertise with the World" was EXACTLY what I have been looking for. The author’s solid step-by-step guide will not leave you disappointed….Well done my fellow researcher!"
-Darlene Breaux, Director of the Research and Evaluation Institute, Harris County Department of Education, TX
"This book is an excellent resource for education experts, and many of the tips and ideas also apply to researchers and other experts who don’t focus on education. Whether the reader plans to implement a few of the ideas or wants to create a full-blown communications, outreach, and professional advancement plan, Jenny’s invaluable advice will serve him or her well."
- Gretchen Wright, Director of Strategic Communications, Learning Policy Institute
"This book honors teachers and educators for the professionals they truly are. Such a refreshing take on the field of education and the significance of sharing our expertise in this interconnected professional ecosystem we find ourselves in today."
- Lisa Paisley, Ed.D, STEM Coordinator, Saddleback Valley Unified School District, CA
"Dr. Rankin has figured out direct (and often unexpected) routes to getting picked for speaking and writing opportunities with big audiences, so readers don’t have to struggle to get their ideas heard by many. Her book is an enjoyable and engaging read, demonstrating exactly the kind of good communication and storytelling practices Dr. Rankin teaches in her book."
-Gary D. Soto, National Speaker on Educational Reform and Founder, GDS Consulting
"[Sharing Your Education Expertise with the World] is packed with great ideas and helpful tips, hints, and resources for any educator who wants to widen her/his sphere of influence and/or move their career to the next level.
Moreover, Rankin uses her uniquely empathic, supportive, kind, humorous, and sometimes engagingly nerdy* voice to rejuvenate, energize, inspire, and maybe even cajole readers to believe they can and should share their expertise with others."
-Rita Platt, school principal, teaches graduate courses for the Professional Development Institute and blogs at Heart of the School for MiddleWeb
"Jenny Grant Rankin’s voice throughout this book promotes the message that sharing our individual wisdom and expertise with the world is necessary, and, more importantly, possible. Read this book to feel encouraged and inspired in your quest to expand your impact on the world, as well as to giggle often."
-Kathleen Palmieri, 5th grade educator in upstate New York, MiddleWeb