Sharing not Staring steers teachers towards using the interactive whiteboard in ways which purposefully tap into its huge potential to make teaching more interactive, more exciting, more creative and enjoyable.
The approaches described in this updated and highly practical new edition fall into the following broad categories:
• Spotlight and word cover/reveal effects – having the impact of a puzzle which emphasises the question as opposed to a standard answer
• Text Organisation – enabling sequencing and exploration of syntax
• PowerPoint – exploiting the creative potential of this often overused or misused tool.
• Word – Performing the equivalent of conjuring tricks in the classroom. You can animate text, map it, organise it, hide it or scramble it.
• Image, moving image and Flash – discovering the impact and potential of well chose still images or video clips. Flash programs that have specific applications with words can add to the wonder and magic of English.
The activities outlined in this book can be undertaken with any of the popular brands of interactive white-board and are relevant with all age groups, across all educational borders.
"The interactive whiteboard has certainly influenced the way many of us are planning, allowing us to build lesson structures and make these explicit to students more than we may have done in the days of handwritten plans. The next stage for English teachers is to move forward with the benefits of manipulating text and the real interactivity of this medium – and for this Sharing not Staring will prove a useful ideas generator." - Teaching English, Esther Menon, NATE ICT Committee
1 There’s more to a picture than meets the eye 2 Grid reference 3 Investigating symbols 4 Hidden Words 5 Hidden Texts 6 Mystery texts 7 Tabulate! 8 Text Mapping 9 Gathering Thoughts 10 Collapsing and re-sorting texts 11 Exploring Text Types 12 One thing after another: Sequencing 13 Making Notes is Hard To Do 14 Word bits 15 A 'Stand-out' lesson! 16 Ordering our thoughts 17 Pictures to Inspire 18 Transforming Texts 19 Counterpoint with PowerPoint 20 Show, look and disappear 21 Movie capture animation