This inspirational and reader-friendly guide offers school leaders six quick and achievable steps for transforming teaching and learning into a high-impact action plan. Author Karen Goeller shows how effective curriculum, instruction, and assessment work can help students overcome college, career, and life challenges. With its clear steps and concrete advice, this text will help school leaders in any district ignite passion for continuous school improvement and sustain a culture of ongoing and collaborative learning.
• crafting a purpose statement that will rally students, teachers, and families around an essential focus;
• using data to boost school improvement and student performance;
• streamlining curriculum and instruction;
• building meaningful relationships among students, teachers, and families;
• leveraging instruction strategies to improve student engagement; and
• energizing staff and students with networking strategies and transition activities.
Each chapter offers research tips, guides to action, numerous examples, reflection questions, immediate take-aways, and downloadable tools.
Karen Goeller is Deputy Superintendent for the Vigo County School Corporation in Indiana and Adjunct Instructor of Educational Leadership at Indiana State University.
Table of Contents
Chapter One – Step 1: Focus on "What Matters Most" for Students
Chater Two—Step 2: Lead Learning with Easy Data Use
Chapter Three –Step 3: Prioritize and Simplify Curriculum and Instruction
Chapter Four – Step 4: Strengthen Learning with Relationship Building
Chapter Five – Step 5: Leverage Powerful Pieces to Accelerate Growth
Chapter Six – Step 6: Energize Staff and Students for the Next School Year
Karen Goeller is Deputy Superintendent for the Vigo County School Corporation in Indiana, and Adjunct Instructor of Educational Leadership at Indiana State University.
Featured Author Profiles
"In striving to improve student learning in my own school, I have read many books. However, this book is particularly practical. It is easy to read and is based on what research supports as the salient components to improve student learning." – Jewel Bondar, Principal, Cloverdale Learning Center, Surrey, British Columbia
"I think there is a need for a very practical, straightforward text like this, and I think this need continues to grow. Written in practitioner language and organized into bite-sized, manageable parts, the book will be useful to principals, district administrators, and principal preparation programs.." – Carmen Coleman, Associate Professor of Educational Leadership Studies, University of Kentucky
- Download All
- eResource A SAT and ACT Discussion Checklist
- eResource B Data Literacy Discussion Questions
- eResource C Schoolwide Reading Analysis Questions
- eResource D Schoolwide Writing Analysis Questions
- eResource E School Improvement Rounds Learning Log
- eResource F Major Speaking and Listening Opportunities Chart
- eResource G Grant Implementation Activities Chart
- eResource H Teaching and Learning Interview Questions
- eResource I Teacher Mentoring Conversation Starters
- eResource J Transition Goals and Strategies Skyrocket Student Success