Written by two experienced speech language therapists, who have worked extensively alongside mainstream teachers, this book provides activities that are both teacher and child friendly. It contains a collection of graded games and activities designed to foster the speaking, listening and understanding skills of children aged from 5 to 7.
The activities are divided into two main areas: Understanding Spoken Language: Following Instructions; Getting the Main Idea; Thinking Skills; Developing Vocabulary; Understanding Inference. Using Spoken Language: Narrating; Describing; Explaining; Predicting; Playing with Words.
- Each activity has a clear aim, simple instructions, and requires minimal equipment.
- Activities may be carried out by teachers, classroom assistants or volunteers.
- Incorporates user-friendly opportunities for assessment, target setting and evaluation.
- Includes photocopiable material to support the activities. "Many of the activities can be used by speech language therapists, and the book can be used as an effective part of a speech and language programme.
- Promotes the skills outlined in Speaking and Listening in the English National Curriculum Key Stage One.