This book introduces the fundamentals of sport governance, assuming no prior knowledge on the part of the reader. It explains to students and practitioners alike why governance matters and how it can be better practiced in sport organizations.
Introducing key concepts and the micro-processes of implementation, the book explains what governance is and why it has become increasingly important. It explains what sport boards do, and how they should function for sport organizations to be effective, and it provides practical tools to help ensure good governance.
Full of insights from cutting-edge research and real-world cases, this is essential reading for any student or practicing sport manager, administrator, or policy-maker who needs a concise introduction to this important topic.
1. Introduction: On Your Mark, Get Set, Go!
2. What Is Sport Governance?
3. How Do Boards in Sport Behave?
4. Inside the Sport Boardroom: What’s the Score?
5. Sport Board Composition: Who’s Making up the Board?
6. The Strategic Governance Mode: What Does It Mean in Practice for Sport Organizations?
7. Effective Sport Boards: How Can Committees Help?
8. CEO and Sport Boards: Who’s the Boss?