Stereotaxic and Chemoarchitectural Atlas of the Brain of the Common Marmoset (Callithrix jacchus)
Free Shipping (6-12 Business Days)
Developing better therapies for neurological conditions such as Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s diseases remains an enduring problem for 21st century medicine. The testing of novel therapies will continue to require a robust experimental animal model. The marmoset is an ideal animal model for modern neurological research because of the species’ convenient body size, ease of handling, and the fundamental similarity of its neuroanatomy to the human brain.
The Stereotaxic and Chemoarchitectural Atlas of the Brain of the Common Marmoset (Callithrix jacchus) is the most detailed atlas of the marmoset brain available. An essential tool for researchers developing more effective therapies for disabling and debilitating neurological disorders, the book contains:
- Fully delineated, high-quality (400x magnification) images of Nissl-stained, acetylcholinesterase histochemically-stained and parvalbumin, calbindin and neurofilament immunohistochemically-stained coronal and sagittal sections, as well as structural magnetic resonance images (MRI) for direct comparisons
- Line diagrams with delineations of all cortical and subcortical structures, with grid overlays so the precise position of each structure can be located stereotaxically relative to the interaural line and infraorbital margin
- Quantitative data regarding volume and cell number of many of the structures delineated in the atlas, regularly updated on an accompanying website
- Standard nomenclature widely used in the Paxinos group of atlases, allowing users to compare and contrast homologous nuclei in different species using the major available atlases
The book combines modern imaging (MRI) with an accurate stereotaxic and chemoarchitectonic section atlas, making the fullest use of available technologies. The downloadable resources include all the images in full color. Designed by publishing neuroanatomists, this book/downloadable resources will be a cornerstone in marmoset brain research for years to come.
Ecology, Behavior and Evolution of the Common Marmoset
The Marmoset in Neuroscience Research
Key Features of this Book
Animals and Ethical Considerations
Methods: MRI, Perfusion and Tissue Processing
Imaging, Principles of Delineation and Abbreviation
Quantitation of Volumes and Neuronal Populations of Motor Nuclei
Bases for Delineation of Specific Regions and Nuclei
Named structures and abbreviations
Index of atlas plates
"[This book] provides researchers the most comprehensive collection of marmoset brain images gathered in one reference to date. The 75 black and white plates in the hardbound book thoroughly map all of the areas of the marmoset brain … . The accompanying DVD presents the plates in vivid color, increasing the image detail and their portability. The book’s inclusion of neural structure volumetric data, MRI images, stereotaxic references, and immunohistochemically mapped chemoarchitectural sections qualifies it as a seminal marmoset brain reference."
"The comprehensive scope of this atlas renders it a vital reference for laboratory animal veterinarians supporting marmoset colonies and reviewing neuroscience studies. … The book and DVD will be well-used references in marmoset neuroscience research for years to come and are a welcome addition to the laboratory animal practitioner’s toolbox."
—Stephen Denny, Laboratory Animal Practitioner, Vol. 46, No. 2, June 2013
We offer free standard shipping on every order across the globe.
- Free Shipping (6-12 Business Days)