Early years practitioners, parents and carers, child minders, health visitors do you need effective ideas for giving your babies and toddlers support to become confident talkers?
National research shows that poor language and communication skills have a profound effect on the life chances of children and young people. This highly practical book will enable you to give children in your care the help they need to build their crucial language skills at the earliest point in their development.
Based on the author’s highly regarded SPIRALS language development programme, the book provides over 40 tried and tested sessions to help develop children’s early speech, language and communication. Each language concept is introduced one at a time and builds on the most frequently used words by infants. It suggests ways to use music, repetition, simple meaningful gestures and signing to reinforce children’s understanding.
- Clear guidelines for introducing specific games and activities at the right developmental level for babies and toddlers to develop their language skills from 0 to 3 ½ years
- Ideas for progression based on child development
- Insights into the underlying psychology of the activities we suggest
- Advice on when to begin to use small group activities
- Guidance on what to do if a child is reluctant to join in.
- Practical suggestions for involving parents as partners
- Photocopiable recording sheets
- Suggestions for further reading and resources.
Written by a leading authority in the field, this exciting new resource provides everything you need to support young children's language skills at the earliest point in their development.
Table of Contents
Introduction Section I: 1. Four Learning Spirals explained 2. Using this book 3. Suggested four-step plan for each day 4. Six-stage spirals of language support to blend into each day 5. Ideas to ensure continuity: recording Section 2: Activities to develop language at different ages and stages 6. 'Bump' to birth 7. Birth to 3 months 8. 3 months to 6 months 9. 6 months to 12 months 10. 9 months to 18 months 11. 18 months to 24 months 12. 24 months to 36 months 13. 36 months upwards 14. 3 and 1/2 years and above - moving on 15. Useful Resources
Marion Nash is a Chartered Educational Psychologist with 23 years' experience and a specialist interest in early speech, language and communication.. Since 2002 Marion has provided SPIRALS language training for early years settings, primary schools, speech and language therapy service teams and local authorities. The course is also offered via ‘I Can', the national speech and language charity.
Jackie Lowe is a Specialist Speech and Language Therapist currently working with the 'I Can' nursery centre in Plymouth supporting children with specific language impairments.
David Leah is a Consultant in Further Education at Spirals Training.
For further information, please visit www.spiralstraining.co.uk
- For further information, please visit www.spiralstraining.co.uk