Supporting the Well being of Girls will provide teachers, psychologists, youth workers and learning mentors with an evidence based approach to the vitally important task of supporting and maintaining the well being of girls. This tried and tested programme offers teachers in upper primary and secondary schools sixteen tailored, expert sessions which engage girls and young women in tackling and addressing some of their key concerns and issues.
Written by hugely experienced educational psychologists, the sessions utilise tools and strategies from a range of therapeutic interventions including cognitive behavioural therapy and positive psychology to provide a safe and nurturing environment in which to consider some sensitive issues and ultimately providing young women with the strength and self awareness to maintain overall well-being.
Areas covered include:-
• Body image and appearance
• Mental health, anxiety and depression
• Healthy Living
Throughout, clear guidance is offered to teachers on running sessions including, welcome and ground rules, talk time and inviting students to share experiences, ice-breakers, activities and feedback.
This programme of support also includes a full range of support tools for the school including:-
• Information sheet for students
• Information sheet for parents
• Letter to parents
• Mental health fact sheet
• Referral routes to specialist agencies
• Mental health agencies – contact details
• Policy for schools on developing mental health work
1. Introduction 2. Self Esteem 3. Body Image & Appearance 4. Stereotypes 5. Relationships 6. Relationships part 2 7. Bullying 8. Mental Health 9. Anxiety & Depression 10. Stress 11. Self-Harm 12. Self-Harm part 2 13. Using therapeutic tools 14. Parenting 15. Healthy living 16. Looking Forward/Evaluation