The forces of volatility, uncertainty, complexity and ambiguity (VUCA) in today’s world are shaping businesses and calling into question the wisdom of existing business models. VUCA challenges businesses to digitalize and transform in ways they had not contemplated before. This book looks at how successful businesses have revitalized and innovated their business models. It illustrates through cases how these businesses have adapted to new forms of globalization through the lens of Business Model Innovation (BMI) theories in a digital world.
This book’s chapters are divided into three sections. The first section examines the existing literature, the second section focuses on business processes and behaviour, and lastly the third section presents four case studies of sustainable international businesses from sectors such the fashion and digital services industry. Paying attention to business decisions and outcomes, the contributors critically examine which theories and practices would be most applicable for a digitally transforming world.
This book provides insights that will interest researchers and academics in the fields of sustainable business, organizational change, and digital transformation, amongst others. Its observations into sustainable digital transformation may also interest business leaders and consultants.
1. Digitalisation, Digital Services and Companies’ Internationalisation: A Literature Review
Arto Ojala, Natasha Evers and Carlos M.P. Sousa
2. The Role of the Two-Order Model for Digital Disruption in Strategy Formulation
Brian Stewart, Anshuman Khare and Rod Schatz
3. Leading Organizations as Living Systems: Survival and Sustainable Evolution in Ecosystems
4. Circularity as a Mitigator for VUCA Impacts on Supply Chain
5. The Sustainable Business Model Innovation of Green Digital-born Globals
Agnieszka Chwialkowska et al.
6. Influences of Ownership Structure on CSR Performance in Emerging Markets
Ha Thi Thu Nguyen and Emmanuel Kusi Appiah
Section 2: Practice
7. Business Model Mechanisms for Overcoming the Liability of Platformization in International Digital Platform Firms
Tamara Galkina and Irina Atkova
8. The Development of Best Practice Digital Disruption Competency Framework in Supply Chain Management
Tjaka Segooa and Abubaker Haddud
9. Business Models and Foreign Operation Modes of Digital Service Providers
Arto Ojala and Eriikka Paavilainen-Mäntymäki
10. Industry Model of Video Games Business in Kyoto
William W. Baber and Arto Ojala
11. Value Propositions of Micro- and Small Enterprises in Digital Transformation of the Global Process Industry
Martti Saarela et al.
Section 3: Case Studies
12. From Sustainable Business Models to Social Innovation: The Case of Samsung and Art Crimes
13. Business Model Innovation Towards Ecosystem Sustainability: A Case Study of the Chinese Super League
Shuyang Liu, James Skinner and Anna Grosman
14. Digital Transformation in Luxury Brands: Challenges in an Uncertain World
Celia Rangel and Belén López
15. Growth Drivers of Digital Marketplaces
Sylwia Sysko-Romańczuk, Katarzyna Bachnik and Marcin Kurek