Teaching Online A Practical Guide
Teaching Online: A Practical Guide is an accessible, introductory, and comprehensive guide for anyone who teaches online. The fourth edition of this bestselling resource has been fully revised, maintains its reader-friendly tone, and offers exceptional practical advice, new teaching examples, faculty interviews, and an updated resource section.
New to this edition:
- entire new chapter on MOOCs (massive open online courses);
- expanded information on teaching with mobile devices, using open educational resources, and learning analytics;
- additional interviews with faculty, case studies, and examples;
- spotlight on new tools and categories of tools, especially multimedia.
Focusing on the "hows" and "whys" of implementation rather than theory, the fourth edition of Teaching Online is a must-have resource for anyone teaching online or thinking about teaching online.
- Teaching Online: An Overview
- Scouting the Territory: Exploring Your Institution’s Resources
- Course Design and Development
- Working with Others to Develop a Course
- Creating an Effective Online Syllabus
- Building an Online Classroom
- Student Activities in the Online Environment
- Copyright, Intellectual Property, and Open Educational Resources
- Creating Courseware: Selecting "Web 2.0" Tools and other Resources
- Preparing Students for Online Learning
- Classroom Management and Facilitation
- Classroom Management: Special Issues
- Teaching Web-Enhanced and Blended Classes
- Teaching and Learning in a MOOC
- Taking Advantage of New Opportunities
Guide to Resources
The newest edition is truly better than ever! This book is packed with great, useful information for the beginner and even the expert online teacher. The additions of mobile learning, analytics, and case studies to the 4th edition are exceptional, and the updated glossary and links section makes this a book to keep close at hand for ready reference as you go through the semester.
--Ray Schroeder, Director of the UPCEA Center for Online Leadership
The 4th Edition of Teaching Online, even more than its predecessors, is invaluable for both novice and experienced online instructors. Online instruction, like teaching itself, has evolved, and so has this indispensable guide. What Teaching Online does best of all is put the emphasis on that first word, teaching, and put everything else at its service. What makes the book exciting is how it shows that teaching online is transformative, opening up possibilities that don’t exist in the traditional classroom, better serving students’ needs and realizing teachers’ goals.
--George Otte, University Director of Academic Technology, The City University of New York and Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, The CUNY School of Professional Studies