The Game Production Toolbox
The Game Production Toolbox focuses on the nuts and bolts of producing interactive content and how you can organize and support the creative, technical, and business efforts that are all part of interactive game development. This book isn’t going to tell you how to design a game or what technologies to use. Instead it provides techniques for and insights into managing, from concept to release, all the pieces that must come together in order to get a game into the hands of a player.
Readers will learn about each phase of game production: prototyping, defining the requirements, assembling the team, making the game, and releasing to the players. Interviews from professional game developers give a behind-the-scenes look at what it takes to make a game.
- A framework for how to get an interactive game from concept to release, including information on financing and pitching to publishers and investors.
- Techniques for working with the game development team to get effective prototypes and documentation to prove out game concept and mechanics.
- Concrete information on how to plan and execute the different aspects of game production, such as audio, localization, testing, and software ratings.
- Advice from industry experts on managing teams, project management, communicating effectively, and keeping everyone happy.
- Information about working effectively with marketing, PR, and other people that are involved with the publishing and release process.
Part 1 Overview
Chapter 1: Game Industry Overview 3
Chapter 2: Developer and Publisher Overview 25
Chapter 3: Legal Overview 43
Part 2 Creating the Prototype
Chapter 4: Laying the Groundwork 57
Chapter 5: Creating Concept 81
Chapter 6: Prototyping 95
Part 3 Establishing Requirements
Chapter 7: Schedule 105
Chapter 8: Budget 121
Chapter 9: Pitching Your Game 129
Part 4 Assembling the Game Team
Chapter 10: Hiring Talent . 147
Chapter 11: Team Organization . 157
Chapter 12: Managing Your Team . 167
Chapter 13: Outsourcing . 183
Part 5 Making the Game
Chapter 14: Executing the Plan . 191
Chapter 15: User Experience (UX), UX: Written in Collaboration with Celia Hodent . 205
Chapter 16: Audio 215
Chapter 17: Localization 231
Chapter 18: QA Testing . 245
Part 6 Launching the Game
Chapter 19: Getting the Word Out 259
Chapter 20: Releasing to Players . 265
Part 7 Appendices