The Power of Role-based e-Learning Designing and Moderating Online Role Play
Written for educators seeking to engage students in collaboration and communication about authentic scenarios, The Power of Role-Based e-Learning offers helpful, accessible advice on the practice and research needed to design online role play. Drawing on the experiences of world-leading practitioners and citing an array of worldwide examples, it is a readable, non-technical, and comprehensive guide to the design, implementation, and evaluation of this exciting teaching approach.
Issues discussed include:
- designing effective online role plays
- defining games, simulations and role plays
- moderating engaging and authentic role-based e-learning activities
- assessment and evaluation.
The Power of Role-Based e-Learning offers a careful analysis of the strengths and learning opportunities of online role play, and is realistic about possible difficulties. Providing guidance for both newcomers and experienced professionals who are developing their online teaching repertoire, it is an invaluable resource for teachers, trainers, academics, and educational support staff involved in e-learning.
Series Editor’s Foreword
1. Games, simulations and role plays
2. Examples of role-based e-learning
3. Designing online role plays
4. Designing the problem
5. Designing the rules and roles
6. Moderating online role play
7. Platforms for online role play
8. Assessing learning in online role play
9. Evaluating and researching online role play
10. Future trends for role-based e-learning
Appendix A. Contacts for role play examples
Appendix B. Chapter reflections and review
Appendix C. A ready-made role play