The Routledge Handbook of Translation and Education will present the state of the art of the place and role of translation in educational contexts worldwide. It lays a sound foundation for the future interdisciplinary cooperation between Translation Studies and Educational Linguistics.
By adopting a transdisciplinary perspective, the handbook will bring together the various fields of scholarly enquiry and practice that make a valuable contribution to enlarging the notion of translation and diversifying its uses in education. Each contribution provides an overview of the historical background to a given educational setting. Focusing on current research approaches and empirical findings, this volume outlines the development of pedagogical approaches, methods, assessment and curriculum design. The handbook also examines examples of pedagogies that integrate translation in the curriculum, the teaching method’s approach, design and procedure as well as assessment.
Based on a multilingual and applied-oriented approach, the handbook is essential reading for postgraduate students, researchers and advanced undergraduate students of Translation Studies, and educationalists and educators in the 21st century post-global era.
Chapters 4, 25 and 26 of this book are freely available as a downloadable Open Access PDF under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial-No Derivatives 4.0 license.
List of contributors
- Bilingualism and multilingualism
- Educational theory: From Dewey to Vygotsky
3. Education for intercultural citizenship
Early childhood and primary education
4. Pre-school education
5. Primary bilingual classrooms
6. Pedagogical affordances of translation in bilingual education
7. Translators in schools: Valuing pupils’ linguistic skills
8. Content-based instruction
9. English as a medium of instruction
10. Bilingual education
11. Modern languages
12. Translation and multilingual/creative writing
13. Audiovisual translation: Subtitling and revoicing
14. Interpreting studies
15. Community translation in New Zealand
16. Translation and technology
17. Computer-assisted L2 learning and translation (CAL2T)
18. Heritage language education: A global view
19. Gifted education programmes
20. Sign languages
21. Sign bilingual education of foreign languages
22. Sign language interpreting
23. Translation teacher training
24. Interpreting teacher training
25. Teacher agency in plurilingual learning contexts
26. Developing mediation competence through translation