Tourism in Turkey: A Comprehensive Overview and Analysis for Sustainable Alternative Tourism is an informative study that analyzes the Turkish tourism from a variety of different perspectives and sheds light on its vast economic and social impacts. The volume takes into account Turkey’s popularity as a tourism destination that attracts many visitors, compared to the other popular destinations, yet its per capita earnings is low and suffers from declining foreign visitors. This volume emphasizes sustainable alternative tourism as a way forward.
The Turkish hospitality and travel sector contribute significantly to the country’s GDP and is responsible for a considerable level of employment in Turkey. The volume discusses the development stages of tourism sector in Turkey in the light of policy changes that parallel the economic, political, social, and administrative transformations in Turkey. With the country’s favorable location, existing potential, mega projects, and ambitious targets set for 2023, the tourism sector needs to implement sustainable tourism measures in order to grow.
Table of Contents
1. General Framework of Turkish Tourism: Tourism and Travel Competitiveness Index and Turkey
A. I. Ikiz
2. The Place and Importance of the Tourism Sector in the Turkish Economy
O. Bahar and N. Çelik İlal
3. Critical Review of the Tourism Planning History of Turkey
4. Alternative Types of Tourism That Can Be Applied for Sustainable Tourism in Turkey
5. An Evaluation of Cittaslow (Slow City) Movement in Turkey in Terms of Sustainable Development
Asli Karataş and Gülay Örmeci Güney
6. The Importance of Local Products Related to Tourism: An Analysis of Turkey’s Geographic Indicator Map of Local Attractions
H. Kosker and Z. Kurtulay
7. Touristic Preferences of Citizens Resident Abroad and Foreigners: Discriminant Analysis Application
Toylan, N. Vatansever, and I. Akhisar
8. The Importance of Environmental Management Practices in Hotels
U. Avci, U. Turgut, and F. Gümüş Dönmez
9. A Critical Evaluation of Social and Environmental Impacts of Tourism Development in Turkey
M. Tuna and M. Mutlu
Ahmet Salih İkiz PhD, is on the faculty in Political Science and International Relations at Muğla Sıtkı Koçman University, Turkey.