An edited collection describing key issues in supporting literacy development, this book helps to 'unlock' the mysteries behind helping children learn to read, write, speak and listen. It explores ways to help children develop their skills in literacy, thinking and learning, and shows how literacy teaching can be used creatively and imaginatively with children of all ages and abilities. The new edition of this well-known text:
- reflects the importance of creativity and the new Primary Strategy
- offers approaches to teaching literacy that accord with and beyond the literacy hour
- includes coverage of the Foundation Stage curriculum in every chapter
- covers the inclusion agenda and supporting EAL pupils
- highlights the importance of popular culture and visual literacy in children's lives.
Interweaving pedagogy with theory and practical suggestions, this book is firmly based in classroom and academic research to support both trainee and practising teacher in the realities of teaching and learning in literacy.
Table of Contents
Creative Ways to Share Reading. Using Poetry With Young Children. Using Poetry With Older Children. Word Level Work Including Phonics, Vocabulary and Spelling. Teaching Grammar and Knowledge About Language. Learning to Write and Writing to Learn. Drama. Speaking and Listening. Inclusion and EAL. ICT - Incredibly Creative Tools. Visual Literacy and Multimedia. Planning and Assessing Progress in Literacy